Friday, September 23, 2016

Blog-Tember Day 23 | Family Recipe

Today's Prompt: A Family Recipe. 

So I don't cook or bake a lot. But when I get up the courage and energy to do so it's often to make cookies. (and by often I mean twice a year). Thankfully I am blecky (blessed + lucky) enough to be surrounded by a husband, family (my mom, grandmas )and friends who genuinely enjoy it.

This is my "go-to" cookies recipe from my mom and her sisters. Whenever I go home or visit my aunts they make these chocolate-chip cookies. I've tried to like other cookies but nothing beats these. I have such nostalgic memories of big rain and thunderstorms growing up and my mom baking these cookies. She would let my sisters and I each have a spoon full of cookie dough and I would savor it's richness so much. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and crave these. (this is weird because I really don't crave desert in the morning).

Anyway before I got married my mom gave me a special family cook book full of traditions and recipes from the kitchen of all our friends and families. My mom included her sister's favorites recipes, my grandma Moot's holiday fruit cake, my grandma J's carmel popcorn and my mother-in-law's tostadas. Even though I don't spending time creating food in the kitchen much,  I am in love with this cook book rich with meaning and memories. And thankfully the recipes are pretty simple because my mom knows me well :)



Chocolate-Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups oatmeal (blend first)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
24 oz bag of chocolate-chips*
8 oz Hershey bar

Directions:

Mix all ingredients and add bag of chocolate chips and grated Hershey bar.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. (golf ball size)
Bake @ 375 for 6 minutes.

And there you have it! Amazing cookies for days! This recipe makes about 112 cookies so be sure to share with friends.


What's your favorite family recipe?

*No chocolate-chips were harmed in the production of this blog but some were eaten. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh - now I want some! I'm at Grandmas and we are eating too much healthy stuff - ha ha (;

    ReplyDelete