Thursday, October 3, 2013

31 days of Self-Care day 2

Today I had a long day at work. I had a couple appointments, meetings, trainings and a lot of progress notes to write. I felt like I was in a race against time. I had to get all this done before our staff meeting! There was just one problem. It was lunch time and I was starting to get very hungry.

I just don't have time to eat right now. I should get my work done, then eat...

Eating is not a "reward" for working hard, finishing a project or working-out, it is absolutely essential to living. I had to learn this the hard way. Now my health always always comes first. But today was different. I had a lot to do and since I am new at work, the learning curve has been pretty steep. I have a lot to prove and a lot to learn. I didn't feel like I could afford to eat.

The reality is I can't afford not to eat.

Welcome to self-care day 2. FOOD. Food provides energy and food gives me the ability to keep working. Food enhances my quality of life. Eating seems like such a basic, simple need but for so many people we have unhealthy views about food. We restrict food because we are trying to attain the perfect size. We don't eat enough because we feel like there are more important things to be doing. Reality check, there are not many more important things than continuing to fuel yourself. Food provides energy in 3 main things, carbohydrates, protein and fat. Your carbs provide you with energy. Fat breaks down to fatty acids to supply energy and protein breaks down to amino acids. Yes we need food. This is taking care of ourselves.

What happens when we don't eat?

  • Loss of lean body mass
  • Shaking
  • Decreased metabolic rate
  • Gastrointestinal problems (you know what this is)
  • Weakness/sleep disturbance
  • Lower libido
  • Loss of hormones
  • Decreased concentration
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
If I went through everything that happens to someone's body when they restrict you would leave this blog it would be so long. I also don't want to scare you into eating because I don't think fear is a very good motivation for change. Hence why I will stop with the list!

I am really sick of all the magazines I see at the cash register when I go grocery shopping. They are obsessed with "burning that fat off" Getting rid of that very thing could be extremely detrimental to us. While with anything there is a balance and if we eat to numb ourselves and avoid painful feelings, there might be an issue with "eating too much". However the root of a problem does not generally start with "eating too much" or "eating too less". These are just the symptoms that manifest themselves. 

So today when I started to feel hungry my co-therapist told me I should go get lunch, she said I would feel a lot better after I did. She was right. I finished up an hour plus before my meeting. That food gave me energy! I realized it was more important for me to eat than get my work done. I am worth it. You are worth it. 

If you are interested in more information on disordered eating check out POTENTIA. I am a huge fan!





No comments:

Post a Comment