Saturday, December 30, 2017

Book List For 2017

Well here we are entering 2018. I am so excited to share my 52 book list with you all! It feels like yesterday that Scott and I were sitting in a charming bookshop in St. Andrews, Scotland discussing our 52 books in 52 weeks challenge and all the genres and categories of books we would fulfill. I am happy to say I have read almost all of the book categories we set out to read (with the exception of finances and marriage…HAHA). Don’t get me started on a rant on how much I despise (most) marriage books. I’m thinking I’ll just count the book I read on Internal Family Systems because it does benefits couples after all! As for finances, well there is always next year!



The hardest thing about this challenge was…finishing a book I didn’t like. I didn’t realize how often I start a book and then never finish it because I lose interest or am intimidated by it’s complexity. It was especially hard to finish books that I felt like were written poorly, followed no clear plot line or had sketchy theology.

What surprised me most about this challenge was…how much I enjoyed poetry! I have always gravitated towards the mental health, self-improvement, and memoirs of spirituality so exploring poetry was new and exciting for me. I plan to start Rupi Kaur’s poetry next!

One more surprise…drumroll please… I LOVED THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS. Now I know this isn’t a surprise to you but to me it really was. The genre of fantasy is not my favorite AT ALL. Not in books, movies or TV shows. Every Christmas my sisters would watch Lord of the Rings and I would be bored out of my mind. I never made my way through the Chronicles of Narnia.  I cannot handle Star Trek and Stars Wars (I know it’s sci-fi). It’s not that I think they are bad it’s just snoozeville for me. So for me to read Harry Potter and LOVE it was a huge surprise (and an accomplishment at my ripe ol' age of 32).

The best part of this challenge was…finishing! I love finishing a goal and I adore lists. Having a book list going was so much fun. Every week I was reading a couple books and was always looking forward to the next read. I tried to be conscious about reading more female authors as well as more books by people of color. Our world can become very small when all we read is white male authors. (And I know how easy a trap this is in small evangelical communities here in America).

Please feel free to message me or comment with any questions! I noted the ones I recommended and my favorites but it was so hard to pick.



Now I need to figure out a new 52 something in 52 weeks goal. (how about 52 Netflix shows in 52 weeks?!?! Lol)

1.             Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Brink*
2.             Out Of Sorts By Sarah Bessey*+
3.             Flourish by Margaret Feinberg
4.             Sandy Toes by Robin Jones Gunn
5.             A Little Princess by Frances Hudgon Burnett*
6.             Spiritual Sobriety by Elizabeth Esther+
7.             Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by J.K. Rowling
8.             The Secret Garden by Frances Hudgon Burnett
9.             Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling*
10.          Small Victories By Anne Lammott
11.          People I Want to Punch in the Throat by Jen Mann
12.          The Divorce Express by Paula Danziger
13.          The Sin of Certainty by Peter Enns+
14.          The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui *+
15.          Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist*+
16.          The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines
17.          Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
18.          Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling*
19.          A Brave and Startling Truth by Maya Angelou
20.          Salty Kisses by Robin Jones Gunn
21.          In the Clearing by Robert Frost
22.          How to Be a Wildflower by Katie Daisy
23.          Talking as Fast as I Can by Lauren Graham
24.          Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling*
25.          The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Seiznick
26.          The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace
27.          Under the Lilacs by Louisa May Alcott
28.          Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers
29.          No Matter the Wreckage by Sarah Kay*+
30.          The Essential Enneagram by Virginia Price+
31.          The Railway Children by E. Nesbit
32.          Brazen by Leeana Tankersley+
33.          Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari
34.          Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
35.          The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
36.          Of Mess and Moxie by Jenn Hatmaker*+
37.          No Other Will Do by Karen Witemeyer
38.          Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes+
39.          Felicty: Poems by Mary Oliver
40.          I’m Judging You by Luvvie Ajayi+
41.          Engaging Father Christmas by Robin Jones Gunn
42.          Contemplative Prayer by Thomas Merton
43.          You are Safe here by AVA*+
44.          Paris for One by Jojo Moyes
45.          Thirst: Poems by Mary Oliver
46.          You Are the One You’ve Been Waiting for: IFS Theory by Richard Schwartz
47.          Sunset Lullaby by Robin Jones Gunn*
48.          Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown+
49.          Secrets from the Eating Lab by Traci Mann+
50.          Falling Upward by Richard Rhor*+
51.          We Should All Be Feminists by Chimanda Ngozi Adichie*+
52.          The 100 Dresses by Eleanor Estes*+


Additional (Children’s) Books:
Eloise’s Guide to Life by Kay Thompson
What Do You Do with an Idea by Kobi Yamada*+
What Do You Do with a Problem by Kobi Yamada*+
How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
The Maybe Days by Jennifer Wilgocki *+ (amazing for kids in foster care)
The Family Book by Todd Parr
Felice the Christmas Ferry by Irene Mathias
Finding Christmas by Lezlie Evans *+
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce
Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
The Christmas Town by Donna Van Liere

*Favorites (It is so hard to pick favorites)
+ Would recommend




1 comment: