And if I'm honest I felt a little sheepish about celebrating.
America is not perfect and this past political season has showcased that quite clearly. (it's been ugly)
It's really embarrassing.
I'm pretty appalled by the values we have ignored and disappointed by what we have prioritized.
So I did what I do when I'm feeling a lot. I made a gratitude list. I created a list of things I am thankful for when it comes to America.
I thought I would share it because even when things aren't perfect there are still silver linings and things to be grateful for. (and in no way does this EVER condone the mess we have made here)
Here's what I celebrated on the fourth of July (in no particular order)
- The National Park Services
- Public libraries
- Trader Joes
- Amazon Prime
- San Diego beaches
- Stripes and stars are fun
- The Grand Canyon
- Jazz music
- Baseball (especially the Padres and the Twins)
- Fall in Minnesota
- How obsessed we all are with our pets (especially DOGS)
- Thanksgiving mashed potatoes and green bean casserole #yum
- How big the sky is in Nebraska
- Access to clean water
- COFFEE CULTURE and the whole take-it-to-go thing
- Public education (as flawed as it is...)
- Food portions are just large and it is awesome (especially ice-cream scoops)
- All my friends and family that live here